Thursday, February 1, 2007

Best of my old blog #5

Been thinking, obsessing more like on material things, work and money.

See, I've always been rather proud of the fact that almost all the furnishings, appliances, hell, even the majority of the clothes I own are gifts, or second-hand, or salvaged. I still am. But lately I've found myself getting all obsessed about a new kitchen, a dryer, new bed, all that some kind of stuff.

Just a few years ago, I was content to live in a single room, with a hot-plate for cooking, no phone (not even a cell), no TV, no nothing.

Add to that my constant obsessing about money, or more to the point, my lack of it, and you have me turning into something I don't like.

Thankfully, every now and again, you get a wake up call. Mine came tonight, when I went to see my Social Services client. He's a sweet guy, mid forties, paranoid schizophrenic, and I've worked with him for going on 7 years now.

He has nicer stuff than me. He has a brand new bike I'd kill for, nice antique or just plain expensively comfortable furniture, and a computer that is just about the most astounding thing ever, even though it's a Mac. He owns his apartment, which could be quite nice if he ever gets around to finishing the "remodel" he's been working on for the last 7 years.

He has most of the things I think I want, but he can't stop there. Hell, he's never ridden the bike; he hasn't even taken it out. He has no clue how to use the massive computer he bought, mostly it sits gathering dust. He has like five old-fashioned wooden radios, because they "give better sound". It goes on and on and on.

He just keeps buying stuff because he's convinced that only the best is good enough, and that if he has the best, he'll somehow be able to accomplish things he can't seem to do on his own. He bought a 100,000 ISK gold plated Mont Blanc pen because he though it would allow him to write a book he's been trying to write forever.

He honestly believes that having the right stuff will fix all his problems.

He's in debt up to his eyebrows.

"So what? He's crazy!" you say?

True, but in this regard no more crazy than a lot of us, including me of late. One of the weirdest things about this so-called life is that we've been taught to look for our salvation in line to the cash register. Well, no more. I'll find non-monetary solutions to my needs, as much as can. I'm done; get me off this hamster wheel.

As for work, apparently after my ultimatum yesterday, my boss's boss is talking to her boss about whether or not I'll get my way.

My boss's boss talking to her boss. Yes, hierarchal structures are so much more efficient, that's why there everywhere. Sure.

Smell my sarcasm!

Either way, after this month or the next, I'll be done paying off my existence bill (otherwise known as taxes) and can therefore at least drop a few mornings of work. Anything to keep me sane (ish), to hell with the added poverty. I'm not ashamed of being poor; I'm not ashamed of being working class. I'm ashamed I started thinking like a yuppie. Solidarity forever, comrades!

We're not fighting the man, we're just into fisting!

No comments: